The “Kindergarten Readiness Act,” requires every public school district to provide a Transitional Kindergarten (TK) program to those “young fives” (children turning five from September 2 through December 2) displaced from kindergarten by the new entry date.
Transitional Kindergarten (TK) is intended to bridge the preschool years with the conventional kindergarten year. Enrollment in Transitional Kindergarten is intended to be a two-year program to complete the kindergarten standards.
Mill Valley School District Transitional Kindergarten Program
· Enrollment in TK is voluntary (as is kindergarten) and state law requires districts to provide a minimum of 36,000 minutes of instructional time per year in these classes.
· TK will be taught by a credentialed elementary teacher who will provide instruction in all curricular areas.
· Class size is projected to be up to 30 students per class.
· Location: Due to enrollment growth and space limitations the Transitional Kindergarten classroom location is currently located at Edna Maguire School, 80 Lomita. This location is subject to change from year to year.
· Hours: 8:50 AM-12:50 PM, including a 30-minute lunch period.
· No transportation/bus service will be provided.
· The MVSD does not offer before or after school childcare program. Please visit www.marindayschools.org to find out about child care options provided by Marin Day Schools or contact Joanne Haight firstname.lastname@example.org
Who is eligible to be enrolled in regular Kindergarten?
Who is eligible to be enrolled in Transitional Kindergarten?
What is the Transitional Kindergarten program?
The Transitional Kindergarten (TK) year is intended to be the first year of a two-year kindergarten experience for those students who are enrolled in a TK classroom. The focus of year one of the TK program is on exposure to, not mastery of, kindergarten skills and standards. The classroom setting will meet the developmental needs of young children. The expectation is that students who are enrolled in the TK program will participate in a regular kindergarten program during the following school year.
Please note that location of transitional kindergarten is subject to change depending on enrollment growth in the District.
If you have questions about Mill Valley’s Transitional Kindergarten program, please contact Barbara Kent at email@example.com, or call 389-7712