Joint Mill Valley School District/Reed Union School District
2013-2014 Transitional Kindergarten
*Edna Maguire School (As of April 17, 2013), 80 Lomita Ave, Mill Valley
California implemented the “Kindergarten Readiness Act,” phasing in a change to the kindergarten entry age in California from five years old by December 2 to five years old by September 1, implemented over a three-year period. The legislation requires every public school district to provide a phased-in Transitional Kindergarten (TK) program to those “young fives” (children turning five from September 2 through December 2) displaced from kindergarten by the new entry date. 2013-14 is the second year of the phase in.
Transitional Kindergarten (TK) is intended to bridge the preschool years with the conventional kindergarten year. Enrollment in Transitional Kindergarten is intended to be a two-year program to complete the kindergarten standards.
Transitional Kindergarten Program
In order to maximize resources, the Mill Valley School District is partnering with the Reed Union School District to offer a joint TK program.
Due to enrollment growth and space limitations the Transitional Kindergarten classroom will be located on the Edna Maguire School Campus at 80 Lomita Drive in Mill Valley.
· Enrollment in TK is voluntary (as is kindergarten) and state law requires districts to provide a minimum of 36,000 minutes of instructional time per year in these classes.
· TK will be taught by a credentialed elementary teacher who will provide instruction in all curricular areas.
· Class size is projected to be up to 35 students per class.
· There will be two schedules. Session 1: 8:30 AM – 12:30 PM or Session 2: 9:45 AM – 1:45 PM, including a 30-minute lunch period.
· No transportation/bus service will be provided.
Who is eligible to be enrolled in regular Kindergarten?
This year California law requires children to be 5 years old on or before October 1, 2013 to be eligible for regular kindergarten:
· A child needs to have turned five years old on or before October 1, 2013 to enter kindergarten in the 2013-2014 school year;
· A child needs to have turned five years old on or before September 1, 2014 to enter kindergarten in the 2014-2015 school year and thereafter.
Who is eligible to be enrolled in Transitional Kindergarten?
All children whose 5th birthday falls on October 2 through December 2, 2013 are eligible to enroll in the TK program in the 2013-14 school year.
· TK enrollment will be limited to only those children who are age-eligible (with 5th birthdays from October 2 through December 2, 2013).
· All children who are five years old on or before October 1, 2013 will be eligible for kindergarten entry, not the TK program.
What is the Transitional Kindergarten program?
The Transitional Kindergarten (TK) year in 2013-2014 is intended to be the first year of a two-year kindergarten experience for those students who are enrolled in a TK classroom. The focus of year one of the TK program is on exposure to, not mastery of, kindergarten skills and standards. The classroom setting will meet the developmental needs of young children. The expectation is that students who are enrolled in the TK program will participate in a regular kindergarten program during the following school year.
*Please note that the time and location of transitional kindergarten is subject to change depending on enrollment growth in the District. If you have questions about Mill Valley’s Transitional Kindergarten program, please contact Barbara Kent at email@example.com, or 389-7712.