Mill Valley School District
Transitional Kindergarten Program
The Transitional Kindergarten (TK) program is for “young fives” (children turning five from September 2 through December 2) displaced from kindergarten by the new entry date.
Transitional Kindergarten (TK) is intended to bridge the preschool years with the conventional kindergarten year. Enrollment in Transitional Kindergarten is intended to be a two-year program to complete the kindergarten standards.
Mill Valley School District Transitional Kindergarten Program
- Enrollment in TK is voluntary (as is kindergarten).
- TK will be taught by a credentialed elementary teacher who will provide instruction in all curricular areas.
- Location: For the 2017-18 school year, Edna Maguire School and Strawberry Point School. Due to enrollment growth and space limitations, this location is subject to change from year to year.
- Hours: For 2017-18, TK hours are identical to the kindergarten schedule at each school, including a 30-minute lunch period. As with the kindergarten schedule, there is a shortened day in TK until September 15.
- No transportation/bus service will be provided.
- The MVSD does not offer a before or after school childcare program. Please visit www.marindayschools.org to find out about childcare options provided by Marin Day Schools (Bright Horizons).
Who is eligible to be enrolled in regular Kindergarten?
- A child must be five years old on or before September 1, 2017 to enter kindergarten in the 2017-18 school year and thereafter.
Who is eligible to be enrolled in Transitional Kindergarten?
- All children whose 5th birthday falls on September 2 through December 2, 2017 are eligible to enroll in the TK program in the 2017-18 school year.
- TK enrollment will be limited to only those children who are age-eligible (with 5th birthdays from September 2 through December 2, 2017).
- All children who are five years old on or before September 2, 2017 will be eligible for kindergarten entry and not the TK program.
What is the Transitional Kindergarten program?
The Transitional Kindergarten (TK) year is intended to be the first year of a two-year kindergarten experience for those students who are enrolled in a TK classroom. The focus of year one of the TK program is on exposure to, not mastery of, kindergarten skills and standards. The classroom setting will meet the developmental needs of young children. The expectation is that students who are enrolled in the TK program will participate in a regular kindergarten program during the following school year.
Please note that location and hours of Transitional Kindergarten are subject to change.
If you have questions about Mill Valley’s Transitional Kindergarten program, please contact Leni Moore at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 415-389-7712.