Books for Teachers
Classroom Strategies and Lessons
Reimers, Fernando, et al. Empowering Students to Improve the World in Sixty Lessons. Create Space Independent Publishing Platform-Creative Commons Attribution, 2017.
Short, Kathy G., editor, et al. Teaching Globally: Reading the World Through Literature. Stenhouse Publishers, 2016.
Pedagogy Focus with Applications for Classroom and Case Studies
Hess, Diana E. Controversy in the Classroom: The Democratic Power of Discussion. Routledge, 2009.
Klein, Jennifer D. The Global Education Guidebook: Humanizing K-12 Classrooms Worldwide Through Equitable Partnerships. Solution Tree Press, 2017.
Goleman, Daniel, B., et al. Eco Literate: How Educators Are Cultivating Emotional, Social, and Ecological Intelligence. Jossey Bass, 2012.
Theory and Research
Reimers, Fernando M. and Connie K. Chung. Teaching and Learning for the Twenty-First Century: Educational Goals, Policies, and Curricula from Six Nations. Harvard Education Press, 2016.
Westheimer, Joel. What Kind of Citizen? Educating Our Children for the Common Good. Teachers College Press, 2015.
Classroom Literature Recommendations from Jane Ritter
Resources for the Classroom
- Asia Society Teachers Resource Page - This includes their publication Education for Global Competence and Global Competence Outcomes and Rubrics
- California Department of Education, Global Education and International Studies Resources page. This has links to many different resources and organizations across disciplines
- State of California Education Department, Educating for Global Competency recommendations from Global Education Summit. Page 20 has a list of resources.
- California Global Education Project Resources page
- World Savvy This link will take you to case studies on global issues that you can use with students.
- UN Sustainability Goals
- Oxfam's Curriculum for Global Citizenship This link will take you to several useful resources including grade level guidelines
- 6 Historical Thinking Concepts Authors identify 6 big concepts for thinking about history
Global Studies Interest Pieces