Mill Valley School District Superintendent
Hello Mill Valley School District Families,
We were so very happy to be moving through 2022 with all our students still able to be in school full time. This has been due to the diligence and safe practices of all our staff, students and families. We continue to monitor protocols and keep this information updated on our Covid Mitigation Plan page of our website. The plan includes information on:
- Face Coverings
- Illness and Quarantine
- Travel Guidelines
- Vaccination and Testing
- Youth Activities
Please Note: Guidance is subject to change based on conditions and we endeavor to keep this updated based on the recommendations of the Marin Department of Health and Human Services and mandates by the State of California.
- Counselors: We are continuing to add to our counseling team! Every elementary school now has a full-time designated counselor, and we have four full-time counselors at our middle school to support the social emotional needs of our students.
- Teachers on Special Assignment: The District has hired five full-time certificated teachers to support learning and growth for our students in elementary through Targeted Learning Labs.
Facility Master Plan
Mill Valley School District has completed the process of developing a Facilities Master Plan that will guide the development and improvement of district facilities for the next ten years.
The Board of Trustees and District administration engaged in a thorough process of assessing needs, gathering feedback from stakeholders, and consulting with experts to develop the plan that was ultimately approved by the Board of Trustees. You can see more about the process and timeline here.
Upcoming Bond Measure
In order to keep pace with academic standards and keep local students safe, the MVSD Board of Trustees approved a Resolution to place a local school improvement bond measure on the June 2022 ballot that could generate up to $194 million to repair and improve local schools. This measure would cost about $26 per $100,000 of a property’s assessed value (not market value) per year. If approved by local voters, this measure would:
- Repair and replace leaky roofs and windows and outdated electrical and plumbing systems
- Expand and upgrade science, technology, engineering and math classrooms, labs and learning technology to meet current instructional standards
- Improve accessibility for students with disabilities
- Add solar panels and improve energy efficiency throughout the District
- Replace outdated heating and ventilation systems to improve air filtration and indoor air quality
- Improve earthquake and fire safety
If you have further questions, please email email@example.com. We will continue to provide you with any updates as we move through the second half of the 2021-22 school year.
Yours in Education,
Dr. Kimberly Berman
Superintendent's OfficeDr. Kimberly Berman, Superintendentkberman@mvschools.org (415) 389-7705Beth Fogel, Executive Assistant to Superintendent & Board/Special Projectsbfogel@mvschools.org (415)-389-7705Anna Russell, Executive Assistant to Cabinet/Communications Specialistarussell@mvschools.org (415)-389-7724
Accomplishments and progress continue in many areas:
- Our students have been in class full time since the start of the year - We are so thankful to you, our teachers and staff, for ensuring our students received full time in person learning from the beginning of the year.
- High attendance and low transmission rates - Thank you for keeping our classrooms safe and being diligent in monitoring our children.
- High staff vaccination rates - We thank our teachers, staff and families for our incredibly high vaccine rate, which has helped us stay safe and in our classrooms.
- COVID testing, including onsite testing - We appreciate all of our staff for submitting your vaccination status, participating in regular testing, and using take-home tests as needed.
- Seamless return from winter, mid-winter & spring break - We thank everyone for their willingness to forego trips and gatherings and for submitting COVID test results before school started. MVSD’s positive cases were very low, and we know this was because of everyone’s diligence.
- Targeted learning labs - Our elementary schools have implemented our new Targeted Learning Lab across the district with the support of our five additional Teachers on Special Assignment and in collaboration with all our elementary school teachers.
- Extended instructional minutes for kindergarten - Our Kindergarten teachers have increased the school day for all of our kindergarten children across the district.
- Dedicated counselor at every school - We have hired a full-time counselor for every elementary school site and have four counselors at our middle school.
- Increased data tracking through iReady - We are gathering data on our students in both reading and math.
- Rollout and integration of Toolbox and Wayfinder - We are focused on the Social and Emotional Well-Being of our Students.
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion - We are committed to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion. We have formed a district-wide DEI committee and held several impactful sessions with our teachers, staff and community members through Facing History and Facing Ourselves.
- Fully integrated online registration and open enrollment for Transitional Kindergarten - We are so excited to invite our newest and youngest learners to our campuses next year! You may register now.
- Facility Master Plan - We have identified the needs for all of our school sites to ensure safe, comfortable and supportive learning environments.