PRIVATE/INDEPENDENT SCHOOL APPLICATIONS
If your student is applying to a private/independent school for the 2021-2022 academic year, the following process must be followed to obtain the necessary documents/recommendations:
1. Please notify Sandy Agajan, MVMS Registrar/Data Processor, with the names of schools your student is applying to, the names of teachers requested to complete recommendations, the portal system used for online applications (Ravenna, TABS, SSAT, Gateway) and the due date for completion of recommendation forms and transcripts. Counselors will complete the Administrator/Counselor recommendation forms. Do not submit any paper recommendation forms directly to teachers or counselors, as this will delay the process of your student’s application.
2. Also submit a check or cash in the amount of $50.00 (payable to the Mill Valley School District) for each type of application form with a maximum of 3 recommendation requests. Additional teacher recommendation requests are subject to an additional fee. The Bay Area Independent High Schools form includes Bay School, Branson, Drew, JCHSB, Marin Academy, Marin School, San Domenico, University High and Urban. (A recommendation from your student’s current 8th grade math teacher, language arts teacher, and school counselor are required.) The Secondary Schools of the San Francisco Archdiocese recommendation forms include Marin Catholic, St. Ignatius, Riordan, Sacred Heart, and are now processed online (with the exception of St. Ignatius). Marin Catholic now requires an 8th grade math teacher, language arts teacher and counselor recommendation. Ravenna, SSAT, TABS and Gateway portals each have different recommendation forms.
3. If you are submitting application forms for teacher recommendations through Ravenna, a parent signature is required on the BAIHS transcript request/records release form.
4. For 8th grade students only: Complete an informational sheet about yourself. Contact Ms. Sheedy for the form. Your information sheet should contain any or all of the following: your positive personal qualities, favorite subjects (and why), hobbies, interests, activities (sports, clubs, youth groups), accomplishments, talents, any hardships or challenges you have overcome, awards you have received, leadership roles, work experience, and volunteer experience.
5. Make copies of the informational sheet. Keep one for yourself, provide one to Ms. Sheedy and teachers you are requesting to complete recommendations.
6. Visit each teacher who you are requesting a recommendation from on or before December 7, 2020. Politely ask your teacher whether he/she will write a recommendation letter for you. If he/she agrees, please provide a copy of your informational sheet.
All notifications of intent to apply to private/independent schools and the fee must be submitted by December 7th, 2020, to Sandy Agajan, MVMS Room 101, firstname.lastname@example.org, or 415- 389-7711 x2811.
Please carefully read the application process for the private/independent schools your student is applying to and direct any additional questions to the Counseling Office. It is the parent/student’s responsibility to verify with the intended recipient if the teacher/counselor received the online request to complete the recommendation via online portal.
8th Grade Counselor: Erin Sheedy 415-389-7711 x2896 email@example.com
7th Grade Counselor: Randi Josephson 415-389-7711 x2895 firstname.lastname@example.org
6th Grade Counselor: Janet Jamesson 415-389-7711 x2891 email@example.com