- Park School
Planning in Mill Valley Schools for PG&E Public Safety Power Shut Offs
Dear Mill Valley School District Community,
If you are not already aware, PG&E may implement "Public Safety Power Shutoffs" to reduce the risk of wildfires when a heightened fire risk including gusty winds and low humidity are forecasted. To check weather conditions related to a potential Public Safety Power Shutoff, please reference PG&E’s weather map. If we lose power during a school day, we will continue regularly scheduled activities through the end of the school day when possible. If there is a confirmed power shutoff scheduled for the following school day, staff will assess the situation and likely close schools.
Safety is our number one priority, and therefore, assessing light within classrooms, hallways, restrooms, and other facilities is a major decision-making factor. The school district will make a decision whether to close all schools in the district once information is received from PG&E. Following a power outage, we will work to resume school as soon as possible. Please see the information below regarding District action during power outages:
- In the event that the power is shut down during the normal school day, school operations will continue through the remainder of the school day when possible.
- In the event that the power is shut down outside of the normal school day, school will likely be closed until power is restored. Based on estimates from PG&E, Public Safety Power Shutoffs may result in extended power outages of 3-5 days.
- Communication during the power outage – The District will make every effort to provide updated information regarding the status of the outage, using whatever information channels are available (cell phone, landline, ParentSquare, texting, social media, website, etc.) with the understanding that communication systems may be limited.
- When power is restored, we will resume school as quickly as possible. In the event that power is restored by 5 a.m. on a given school day, the District will continue with regular school activities. If power is restored after 5 a.m. on a given school day, we will determine the feasibility of resuming school as quickly as possible.
In order to stay as up to date as possible on the most current information, our public safety officials are recommending that you register your contact information at the following sites:
- Nixle (text zip codes to 888777)
- PG&E Alerts for Account Holders
- PG&E Zip Code Alerts for non-account holders (sign up for your school’s zip code)
Here are some additional links with important resources to assist you in being prepared at home.
- PG&E 7-Day Power Shutoff Potential
- City of Mill Valley Public Safety Power Shutoff Resources
Yours in Education,
Dr. Kimberly Berman, Superintendent