Dear Park School Families,
I am honored to welcome you to the 2018–2019 school year! I hope your summer was filled with fun and relaxation. I can’t wait to meet all the Park students and hear about their summer adventures. This summer has been a big transition for my own family. We have one child entering high school, one entering middle school, one entering kindergarten, and one starting daycare! My four-year-old daughter, Ava, is beyond excited to begin kindergarten herself, and every day is peppered with questions about how many days there are until school starts. As we all shift back into school mode, the Park teachers and staff are eagerly awaiting the arrival of students and are ready to launch into an amazing year filled with curiosity, creativity, and joy.
Here are a few important things to keep in mind before the year starts:
- School Hours (Grades 1–5): 8:30am–2:50pm every weekday except Wednesday, when dismissal is at 1:45pm.
- Kindergarten Hours: Aug. 23rd–Sept. 14th, 8:30am–11:50am. Beginning Sept. 17th, 8:30am–1:30pm.
- Playground Supervision: Morning supervision is provided to all students 8:00–8:30. After school supervision is offered only to registered Marin Day Schools students, or by signing up for a Supervised Play program through Mill Valley Parks and Recreation.
Traffic remains an ongoing challenge here at Park. Our main objective regarding this is keeping all students safe. To facilitate a smooth drop off and pick up, please keep the following in mind if you are driving your child to school:
- Arrive Before 8:20am: Arrive before traffic reaches its peak.
- Follow Drop-Off Rules: When pulling into the Elm Street drop-off zone, drive slowly, pull up at the curb as far forward as possible, and respect the directions of the student/parent volunteers on traffic duty. They are there to keep drop off moving safely. Refrain from using your cell phone. Please do not park in the red zone or in either of the crosswalks.
- Our Parking Lot is for STAFF ONLY: Parking Permits are required for all spaces except handicapped. Do not park in spaces marked “STAFF” during the school day, until after 3:30pm, even if the space is currently unoccupied. We have more than 50 staff members coming and going throughout the day, and only 28 available spaces.
- Please do not leave your car unattended in the white zone during drop-off and pick-up times.
Please save the date for Back to School Night on Thursday, Sept. 13th. The night is for adults only, look for details in the upcoming Treebune.
Finally, after dropping your child off on the 1st day, please join me in the Auditorium for our PTA-sponsored First Day Coffee. This is an opportunity for us to get to know each other and for you to learn more about how to contribute to your child’s time at Park School. Check out the Get Involved page to see the opportunities available.
As the summer comes to a close, I hope you find time to connect with those you love, reflect about summer experiences, and start to set goals for the year to come. I look forward to the wonderful journey ahead!
Heath Caceres, Principal