Ways to Help in the Garden
You can help harvest, bake using our school-grown produce or help sell our goods at the weekly Farmer's Markets. Click here to sign up now.
Weekly & Daily Jobs
While many volunteers are needed for garden special events and work days, the Garden Educator and part-time Aide also rely on parents and students to help maintain the garden and outdoor classroom areas. You can pitch in even if you only have 15 minutes to spare, and there’s no need to commit on a regular basis. Just stop by the garden and check the to-do list on the whiteboard and jump in. Our garden grows and thrives because of you!
Some examples of weekly and daily jobs:
- Chicken Friend - care for the chickens on the weekends
- Wednesday Weeder - tackle weeding in the garden on Wednesday mornings (or other days, too!)
- Water Wizard - water areas of the garden not on automatic irrigation for a week or weekend
- Greenhouse Guy/Gal - start and maintain seedlings in the greenhouse
- Master of Compost (MC) - help with building, turning, and sifting the compost piles
- Worm Whisperer - make sure our composting worms are fed regularly and harvest the castings
- Handy Person - help with various fix-it jobs in the garden
- Tool Time - keep the garden tools clean and organized
- Farmer's Market - bake, harvest, sell produce and products at our Farmer's Markets on Wednesdays, after school
- Classroom Cleaner - help maintain our outdoor classroom by sweeping and wiping down the cabinets and tables and keeping supplies tidy
- At-Home Volunteer - take garden projects home with you and bring them back when done
Garden Work Days
There are four garden work days during the school year, always held on Sundays from 10 AM to 12 PM, with many jobs for all ages and energy levels. These work days are a great way to get your hands dirty, flex your muscles, and experience the garden alongside your Edna student(s). Look for announcements about scheduled work days in your student's "Wednesday Folder" and in the weekly PTA newsletter. Garden work days are currently scheduled for Sept 24, Nov 5, Mar 18, and Apr 22. Bring the whole family!
The Garden Craft Sale
Be creative, be a maker! If you want to contribute items to sell at the Garden Craft Sale, which will be held on campus Wednesday through Friday, Nov 29 - Dec 1, 2018, email the PTA VP of Garden Lauren Hancock with your ideas and get ready to get crafty. Excellent opportunity to test the market for the next big Etsy breakthrough!
The Garden Faire
The Garden Faire—the main fundraising event—will be held on Sunday, April 29, 2018. A day-long affair, the Faire is an enormous undertaking that requires volunteers to help with all aspects, from advance planning to logistics to taking charge of booths/ activities to event day staffing to set-up/take-down/clean-up, and much, much more. Look for volunteer recruitment and sign-up information in the Spring.