In order to ensure schools are safely prepared for students and staff during the COVID-19 pandemic, the Mill Valley School District has met and exceeded all safety requirements. The Maintenance, Operations, & Safety department has been working hard to ensure that all sites are safe and prepared. A video featuring this department's staff members is available on our YouTube channel.
We are actively preparing for the return to in-person instruction and have completed safety walkthroughs of all of our sites with staff, ordered and installed EPE, and more. Each school site has prepared a School Site Specific Protection Plan, which has been approved by the Marin County Office of Education and the Marin Department of Health and Human Services.
During the summer, MVSD hired Patrick McLaughlin from the Marin County Office of Education "Rethinking Schools Task Force" to collaborate with our school sites and engage in walkthroughs with staff. We had an Interim Director of Maintenance, Operations, & Safety, Judge Taylor, with us all summer. In late August, Julio Arroyo joined us as the new Director of Maintenance, Operations, & Safety.
Essential Protective Equipment
The following EPE will be provided for all staff:
- Disposable face masks for staff and students
- Cloth face masks for staff and students
- Face shields for staff members
- Humanity shields for staff members
- Touchless thermometers
- Outdoor hand washing stations at each site
- Hand sanitizer dispenser in each classroom
- Plexiglass shields in school offices and one-to-one education spaces
- High-efficiency MERV-13 filters installed in HVAC systems
- Food-safe sanitizing spray for all classrooms
- Outdoor learning areas
- Floor markings for physical distancing
- Regularly cleaning procedures
- Signage posted for required face masks, hand washing, and physical distancing
HEPA Air Purifiers will be provided in all district classrooms to ensure adequate ventilation even during days with poor air quality. This is in addition to each classroom across the district having at least one exterior door and window or two exterior windows for ventialtion and new MERV-13 filters installed in our HVAC systems. All HVAC systems are being inspected district-wide.