In order to ensure schools are safe for students and staff during the COVID-19 pandemic, the Mill Valley School District has met and exceeded all safety requirements. The Maintenance, Operations, & Safety department has been working hard to ensure that all sites are safe and prepared. A video featuring this department's staff members is available on our YouTube channel.
Prior to reopening last year, we completed safety walkthroughs of all of our sites with staff, ordered and installed EPE, air purifiers, and more. Each school site has prepared a School Site Specific Protection Plan, which has been approved by the Marin County Office of Education and the Marin Department of Health and Human Services. Last summer, MVSD hired Patrick McLaughlin from the Marin County Office of Education's "Rethinking Schools Task Force" to collaborate with our school sites and engage in walkthroughs with staff.
Essential Protective Equipment
The following EPE and safety measures have been provided for all staff:
- Disposable face masks for staff and students
- Cloth face masks for staff and students
- Face shields for staff members
- Humanity shields for staff members
- Touchless thermometers
- Outdoor hand washing stations at each site
- Hand sanitizer dispenser in each classroom
- Plexiglass shields in school offices and one-to-one education spaces
- High-efficiency MERV-13 filters installed in HVAC systems
- Food-safe sanitizing spray for all classrooms
- Outdoor learning areas
- Floor and ground markings for physical distancing
- Regularly cleaning procedures
- Signage posted for required face masks, hand washing, and physical distancing
- Daily health screenings for staff and students
- HEPA Air Purifiers in each classroom
HEPA Air Purifiers have been provided in all district classrooms to ensure adequate ventilation even during days with poor air quality. This is in addition to each classroom across the district having at least one exterior door and window or two exterior windows for ventilation and new MERV-13 filters installed in our HVAC systems. All HVAC systems have been inspected district-wide.
Following the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines, the classroom or workspace will be disinfected 24 hours after the person who tested positive was last present.
Classrooms or work areas’ frequently touched surfaces will be cleaned including but not limited to:
- light switches
- faucets and sinks
After disinfection is completed, the space is safe to use.
Staff Safety Videos
Below are video tutorials from our Maintenance, Operations, & Safety department depicting how to use Covid-19 safety equipment.