Facing History & Ourselves Community Workshops
Mill Valley School District community members who want to better understand key equity issues that affect their children's education are invited to participate in four workshops to discuss how to nurture an inclusive school community.
The information shared at these workshops is the same information that Mill Valley School District educators are learning this year as part of the district's professional development. No prior experience is required and we welcome everyone who wants to nurture school communities where each student is welcomed and their life experiences recognized.
Register: To receive information about upcoming sessions and links to session information, please register here.
There are four stand-alone sessions offered during the 2021-22 school year. Each session:
- Focuses on a specific topic about equity in schools
- Helps parents/guardians learn why this issue is important
- Introduces research and data
- Helps parents/guardians understand how these issues show up in their children's schools
- Provides resources and tools parent/guardians can use at home to reinforce these concepts with their children
Sessions offered during the 2021-22 school year. Click on the topics for past sessions to view workshop materials:
- September 21, 2021: Honoring and Exploring Identities in our School Community
- November 9, 2021: Understanding the History of Race, Racism and Educational Inequity
- February 15, 2022: Seeing our Schools and Students with an Equity Perspective
- April 19, 2022: Building Community and Skills for Inclusion and Equity
PTA Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Committees
Each school site has created a Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Committee via the school PTA. These committees will be conducting follow up meetings and activities related to, and expanding on, the community sessions. To join your committee: log into parentsquare.com, find "Groups" in the menu or along the left side of the page, and join the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Committee group. You will then receive communications from your school's DEI Committee regarding upcoming meeting and other information. If you would like more information about your school's DEI Committee, please contact your PTA for contact information for the Committee Chair at your school.