MILL VALLEY SCHOOL DISTRICT BOARD OF TRUSTEES
We heard from our families that it can be challenging to attend board meetings to address the board. We greatly value your input and want to create a way to ensure your messages are seen and read by all trustees. In an effort to streamline the process of communication to our board members, we have created an email address that shares your comments to the Board of Trustees and the Superintendent. Please send your message to: LetterstotheBoardofTrustees@mvschools.org.
Trustees for the Mill Valley School District are volunteers elected by the district voters for a term of four years. Elections for this unpaid position are held every other year in November. The next election of Trustees is November 2022.
Michele Crncich Hodge
Communication with the Board
When contacting Mill Valley School District Trustees, please email all board members (not just one) and Dr. Kimberly Berman, Superintendent. As part of the Brown Act, individual board members are unable to engage in discussion outside an agendized meeting. However, Dr. Berman will direct concerns to the appropriate staff member.
Board Members act as liaisons to our schools. This system helps facilitate communication between the Board and each school. The Board welcomes dialogue with the community.
The role of the Board covers four broad areas of responsibility:
- Establishing a vision for the District
- Establishing an effective and efficient organizational structure
- Ensuring accountability
- Advocating on behalf of children and public education
In order to fulfill these responsibilities, the Board:
- selects and evaluates the superintendent
- sets policy for hiring of personnel
- adopts and evaluates policies
- adopts and monitors curriculum
- adopts budgets and monitors the District's fiscal accountability for the long term
- negotiates and adopts collective bargaining agreements
- creates an environment that promotes excellence and enhanced communication among our various constituencies
How to Submit a Public Comment to the Board
At the start of each board meeting, the president states: “We have the opportunity for public comment during this format today. Please complete your public comment slip via google form - so we may be sure to read or call your name for public comment for items both on and not on the agenda. Once the moderator has called upon you, please unmute your device to be heard. The link can be found on the district website under the Board tab.”
Additionally, the board meeting links are shared on the district homepage prior to the meeting, both 72 hours in advance and 24 hours in advance. The public has two options for submitting a comment:
- You may submit a public comment request to speak during the meeting by submitting via the Google Form that will be provided 15 minutes prior to the start of the meeting on this page. You must be present to read or state your own comment.
- Alternatively, you may send your written comments via email to all trustees and the superintendent using LetterstotheBoardofTrustees@mvschools.org. These comments will not be read aloud.
Google Form for Public Comment: The link is shared 15 minutes prior to each meeting.
The form remains open during the entirety of the meeting and the public may submit at any time from 15 minutes prior to the meeting until adjournment.
2021 Board Officers
President: Emily Uhlhorn
Vice-President/Clerk: Todd May
School Liaisons: interact regularly with site administrator & parent organizations
Edna Maguire: Emily Uhlhorn
MV Middle: Todd May
Old Mill: Michele Crncich Hodge
Park: Marco Pardi
Strawberry Point: Elli Abdoli
Tamalpais Valley: Michele Crncich Hodge/Marco Pardi
City of Mill Valley: Todd May/Michele Crncich Hodge
MVSD Together: collaborative of representatives from Board, District, PTA Council & Kiddo! - Emily Uhlhorn/Marco Pardi
It Takes a Village (ITAV): support group for parents of MVSD students who learn differently - Emily Uhlhorn/Michele Crncich Hodge
Kiddo! Board: connection with schools foundation & community - Todd May/Michele Crncich Hodge
Marin County Joint Legislative Advisory Committee (JLAC): group lobbies for key issues at state and federal levels - Elli Abdoli/Emily Uhlhorn
Marin County School Boards Association: collaborative of all county school boards - Michele Crncich Hodge
Mill Valley Community Finance Advisory Committee (CFAC): Emily Uhlhorn/Elli Abdoli
PTA Council: connection with all local PTA leadership - Emily Uhlhorn/Elli Abdoli