MILL VALLEY SCHOOL DISTRICT BOARD OF TRUSTEES
Board Elections for Mill Valley School District - November 8th, 2022
Trustees for the Mill Valley School District are volunteers elected by the district voters for a term of four years. The next election is scheduled on November 8th, 2022. There are five candidates who have filed for three open vacancies.
Meet the Board
Todd May, President - Todd May has lived in Mill Valley since 2010 with his wife and two daughters, who both attend Mill Valley schools. Todd began his involvement with the District in 2011/12 when he joined the Community Financial Advisory Committee and became a Trustee in December of 2013. Todd and especially his wife have enjoyed coaching their daughters’ sports programs, and spending time hiking and running in the area.
Emily Uhlhorn, Vice President/Clerk - Emily and her husband, Bryan, have two sets of twins and moved to Mill Valley 10 years ago because of its small-town sense of community and excellent schools. The younger set of twins attend Park School and the older attended Park, graduated from MVMS, and are now at Tam High. Before having kids, Emily obtained a master's in special education and had a private practice working with children with learning differences. Since having kids, Emily has been a stay-at-home mom and has volunteered extensively in the classroom, on PTA Boards, Site Councils, as a basketball coach, and at the district level. She co-chaired the successful Measure B and Measure E campaigns and has served on the Community Financial Advisory Committee. Emily also serves on the SchoolsRule-Marin Board and is active in the Mill Valley Rotary, running community service groups at both MVMS and Tam High. She was elected Trustee in 2018.
Elli Abdoli, Trustee - Elli Abdoli is a Mill Valley resident and parent with 3 children in the district. She has been a Government Ethics Attorney at a Marin law firm since 2007. Elli graduated with a J.D. from Santa Clara University and a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science and Rhetoric from the University of California, Berkeley. She has been actively involved at Strawberry Point School as a classroom volunteer and has participated in district committees including the Transition Taskforce, the LeCAP, and LCAP.
Michele Crncich Hodge
Michele Crncich Hodge, Trustee - Michele Crncich Hodge has been a teacher, principal, administrator, and parent to a student in the Mill Valley School District. She holds an Ed.D. in Organizational Leadership from the University of La Verne, La Fetra College, a Masters of Arts in Education, Reading from the University of Southern Oregon, and a Bachelor of Arts in Economics and French from the University of California, Berkeley.
Marco Pardi, Trustee - Marco Pardi lives in Mill Valley with his wife, Maureen and three children where they have resided since 1997. Marco has been active in support of public schools for many years, including participation in 3 successful Mill Valley school parcel tax campaigns and a bond measure where he ran fundraising for the most recent two campaigns. Marco was a member of the Citizen’s Oversight Committee from 2009-2013 for the 2009 Bond Measure. Marco has also been active in the local youth sports programs as a volunteer head coach for Mill Valley Soccer Club and the Mill Valley Little League for many years and served one year as the AGC (Age Group Coordinator) for MVSC. Marco is currently the Managing Director at media and communications company UBM LLC, where he runs the technology group of events and digital media. Marco holds a B.A. in Economics from University of California, Berkeley.
Role of the Board
Board members act as liaisons to our schools. This system helps facilitate communication between the Board and each school. The Board welcomes dialogue with the community.
The role of the Board covers four broad areas of responsibility:
- Establishing a vision for the District
- Establishing an effective and efficient organizational structure
- Ensuring accountability
- Advocating on behalf of children and public education
In order to fulfill these responsibilities, the Board:
- selects and evaluates the superintendent
- sets policy for hiring of personnel
- adopts and evaluates policies
- adopts and monitors curriculum
- adopts budgets and monitors the District's fiscal accountability for the long term
- negotiates and adopts collective bargaining agreements
- creates an environment that promotes excellence and enhanced communication among our various constituencies.
Communication with the Board
- It is essential that important and accurate information be communicated to members of the board, the staff, and the community in as timely a fashion as possible.
- The governance team recognizes that some situations have legal or other considerations that may place restrictions on what may be told to the media or public.
- The governance team commits to speaking with one voice. The designated spokesperson will vary depending on the issue or situation:
- Crisis/Disaster: The superintendent is the primary spokesperson and may involve the board president at his or her discretion. The superintendent will also coordinate with the county office of education for additional information and resources.
- Non-Crisis: The board president and the superintendent will serve as primary spokespersons.
- Emails/documents to Board: If a communication is sent to a board member, the board member will forward that information to the Superintendent. The superintendent or board president will respond.
- Board members may not communicate with more than one member on a topic outside of publicly agendized meetings. Communications may be shared with the superintendent and then shared with all board members.
If you would like to communicate with the Board outside of the meeting, you may send your correspondence via email to all Trustees and the Superintendent at LetterstotheBoardofTrustees@mvschools.org. These letters will not be considered public comment and will not be read aloud during the meeting.
2022 Board Officers
- President: Todd May
- Vice-President/Clerk: Emily Uhlhorn
- Edna Maguire: Emily Uhlhorn
- MV Middle: Emily Uhlhorn (Alternate: Michele Crncich-Hodge)
- Old Mill: Michele Crncich-Hodge (Alternate: Todd May)
- Park: Marco Pardi
- Strawberry Point: Elli Abdoli
- Tamalpais Valley: Todd May (Alternate: Michele Crncich-Hodge)
- MVSD Together: Emily Uhlhorn & Elli Abdoli
- PTA Council: Emily Uhlhorn & Elli Abdoli
- It Takes a Village (ITAV): Michele Crncich-Hodge
- Kiddo! Board: Emily Uhlhorn & Todd May
- Community Finance Advisory Committee (CFAC): Emily Uhlhorn & Elli Abdoli
- Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DEI): Marco Pardi & Emily Uhlhorn
- District English Learner Advisory Committee (DELAC): Michele Crncich-Hodge & Todd May
- Marin County Joint Legislative Advisory Committee (JLAC): Elli Abdoli & Emily Uhlhorn
- Marin County School Boards Association (MCSBA): Michele Crncich-Hodge
- Efficiency & Effectiveness (E2) Collaborative: Michele Crncich-Hodge
- City of Mill Valley: Emily Uhlhorn & Marco Pardi