Facility Master Plan
On February 2, 2022 the Mill Valley Board of Trustees approved a Facility Master Plan that will guide the development and improvement of district facilities for the next ten years. At the Board Meeting prior to the plan's approval, the district provided a detailed presentation on the proposed plan, which included a description of the plan development process and initial project lists for each district site.
- FACILITY MASTER PLAN
- MASTER PLAN PRESENTATION - February 2, 2022
- District Financial Analysis - October 20, 2021
- Meeting Agenda - October 20, 2021
- District Financial Analysis - April 2, 2021
- Meeting Agenda - April 15, 2021
- District Financial Analysis - February 13, 2020
- Meeting Agenda - February 13, 2020
To develop the Facility Master plan, the Board of Trustees and District administration engaged in a thorough process of assessing needs, gathering feedback from stakeholders, and consulting with experts to develop the plan that was ultimately approved by the Board of Trustees. See below for a timeline of the plan development process.
Facilities Needs Assessment
Prior to the pandemic, the Mill Valley School District carried out a Facility Needs Assessment, an extensive analysis of our school buildings and grounds to ensure the safety of our students and staff on our campuses.
- 2019 Facilities Report: Based on information from these processes, the facilities team created a report estimating the age or physical status of each facility item and compared it to its standard lifespan at each school site. See the report presented to the Board of Trustees in November 2019.
- 2021 Needs Updates: Since that time all sites have been visited and inspected in order to update the Facilities Needs Assessment post-pandemic. The full, updated results were shared at the February 2, 2022 Board Meeting.
- Although our school sites are functioning well, in order to maintain modern facilities that are ideal for teaching and learning today and into the future, there are many needed repairs and replacements.
Developing Education Specifications
- Gathering Staff Input: In September, with the assistance of facilities consultants, the district conducted multiple sessions with district staff to gather feedback on how the facilities are currently serving their teaching needs, and how their educational spaces could be improved to support their teaching methods now and in the future.
- All information developed and shared at these sessions was organized and synthesized by the facilities consultants to be presented to the Board of Trustees and for use in the development of the final Facility Master Plan.
Student and Community Input
- Community Survey: The district conducted a survey that was available to staff, parents and the larger community to gather feedback related to how participants felt that district facilities were currently serving teaching and learning goals, and ideas and suggestions for future projects and improvements.
- Student Feedback Sessions: At the beginning of October, district leadership and facilities consultants conducted sessions with the 5th grade classes at each elementary school, and with 6th-8th graders at the middle school to hear the student experience with their classrooms and schools, and get their opinions and ideas on how their facilities could be modified or improved to maximize student learning and well-being.
- PTA Facilities Meetings: Throughout October, the PTA at each school site hosted an information and feedback session with parents at each district school to discuss the development of the facility master plan, and to gather feedback from parents regarding their facilities project priorities and feelings about district facilities.
- All information developed and shared through the community survey and the student and PTA sessions was organized and synthesized by the facilities consultants to be presented to the Board of Trustees and for use in the development of the final Facility Master Plan.
Board Facilities Workshop
On October 20, 2021, the Board received updates on the Facility Master Plan development process and discussed potential funding avenues. The Board heard the following presentations:
Approval of Facility Master Plan
The facilities team, using the information gathered during the Facilities Needs Assessments and the feedback gathered from the Education Specifications, student meetings, PTA meetings, and from the Board following the October presentation, developed a set of project recommendations and incorporated those recommendations into a final Facility Master Plan. The proposed Facility Master Plan was shared with the Board, staff and community at the Board Meeting on February 2, 2022, and was approved by the Board at that meeting.