• Guide to Registering Students - Required Documentation


    To register for the 2021-22 school year, you will fill out the digital registration forms on the online registration portal, which will be linked on the MVSD Student Registration page. To register for the current school year, please call 415-389-7712 or email lgmoore@mvschools.org at the Mill Valley School District Office.


    What to Provide:

    • Proof of Age document per EdCode 48002 

    The parent or guardian of a child shall, prior to the admission of the child to the kindergarten or first grade of a school district, present proof to the authorities of the district evidencing that the child is of the minimum age fixed by law for admission thereto. The method of proof of age shall be prescribed by the governing board, and the evidence may be in the form of a certified copy of a birth record or a statement by the local registrar or a county recorder certifying the date of birth, or a baptism certificate duly attested, or a passport, or, when none of the foregoing is obtainable, an affidavit of the parent, guardian, or custodian of the minor, or any other appropriate means of proving the age of the child as prescribed by the governing board of the school district. 

    • Last report card and/or state test scores: Students in grades 1 through 8 need a copy of the last report card and/or state test scores (SBAC/CAASPP or equivalent).

    • Complete immunization record: Please obtain a record of immunizations to date from your child's previous school or physician. By California State law, a child may not be admitted to school without proof of current immunizations.
      • Kindergarteners who register during the current school year and all new 1st graders must provided completed physical and dental forms (available on the website)
      • Entering 7th and 8th graders must provide evidence of the Tdap immunization.

    (A TB test is required if your family is moving to Mill Valley from countries in Asia, the Middle East, Africa, Latin America, Eastern Europe, or the Pacific Islands. The test must have been administered upon arrival in the United States. Written proof of a negative test result will be required before the child can start school.)

    • Proofs of Residency

      Education Code 48204 - Evidence of Residency

      1. One Required: At least one of the following documents showing the name and address of the parent, guardian or caregiver within the district:
        1. Copy of the deed
        2. Copy of the most recent mortgage statement
        3. A fully executed copy of the lease/rental agreement, plus Lessor/Lessee Residency Form

      2. One Utility Service Contract Required: In addition to #1 at least one utility service contract, statement, or payment receipt dated within thirty (30) days of registration documents showing the name and address of the parent, guardian or caregiver within the district. Acceptable bills include:
        1. PG&E
        2. Marin Municipal Water District
        3. Mill Valley Refuse/Tamalpais Community Services District/or other local refuse agency serving residences within district boundaries
        4. Comcast (cable TV)/Direct TV
        5. Landline telephone (cell and long-distance service not accepted)

      3. Two RequiredIn addition to #1 and #2 above at least two of the following documents showing the name and address of the parent, guardian or caregiver within the district:
        1. Valid California Driver's License
        2. Current Vehicle Registration card
        3. W-2 form dated within the past year
        4. Current pay stub
        5. Property tax bill/payment receipts dated within the past year
        6. Correspondence from a government agency or Public Assistance documents (such as voter registration)
        7. Bank or credit card statement dated within the past forty-five (45) days
        8. Dental or medical bill dated within the past forty-five (45) days
        9. Declaration of Residency


    Questions? Send an email to lgmoore@mvschools.org or call 415-389-7712.