Special Education Programs in MVSD serve students with a wide range of disabilities in a variety of educational settings.
- The programs are designed to meet the needs of individual students based on the child’s Individualized Education Plan (IEP).
- Students with disabilities may receive instruction and support in the general education setting or may receive direct instruction in the learning center classroom.
- The IEP team, which is at minimum composed of the parents, special education service providers, the general education teacher and a school administrator, determines the type of services and the setting in which these services are most appropriately delivered.
- The goal for all children is to provide services in the Least Restrictive Environment (LRE) and ensure children with disabilities are educated with their general education peers to the greatest extent possible.
- IEP teams work together to determine which portions of the day students will spend with special education services providers and which portions they will spend in the general education environment.
The District supports students, based on their individual needs, utilizing various models that range from full inclusion, co-teaching (push-in instruction), and Learning Center instruction for a variety of subjects and activities. Each of these models has been validated in the research and is specially designed for students through the IEP process. Education Specialists (special education teachers) and DIS (designated instructional service: Speech Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Vision Services, etc.) providers work with general education teachers to provide instruction on IEP goals in the most meaningful environment for each student. Data is collected frequently to ensure students are making progress on IEP goals. Collaborative meetings with staff and parents are held to review and monitor the effectiveness of individualized student plans and programs. Mill Valley provides special education services for students in Early Intervention (ages 3 - 5), Elementary, and Middle School.