ATTENDANCE at Mill Valley Middle SchoolOffice 415-389-7711Attendance Hotline 415-389-7722School Fax 415-389-7789NEW Attendance Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (Parents may use this email to report absences and send correspondence.)
Please notify the office by 9:00 a.m. if your child will be absent from school by calling 415-389-7722. It is a State requirement that schools accurately record absences and tardies and the reasons for them. We know that trips can be educational for children, but we ask families to limit student absences due to trips as much as possible during the school year and not to take children out of school for reasons other than illness, medical appointments or emergencies. It is impossible to make up the actual instructional activities and interactions with the teacher and other students when a child is out for an extended period of time.
IllnessIf a child becomes ill at school, the parent or authorized relative, friend or neighbor (indicated on the child’s emergency card) will be called to arrange to take the student home. Please keep students at home if the child is contagious or if a fever, diarrhea or vomiting are present. A child with a fever may not return to school until he/she has been fever-free for at least 24 hours without the aid of fever-reducing medications. If antibiotics have been prescribed, do not let your child return to school until 24 hours after the first dose has been administered. Courtesy to other students and the staff and the California State Health Code require that all communicable diseases be reported to the school office immediately.
TardinessIt is important to be on time. All students should make every effort to be at school no later than 8:30 when the first bell rings. We recommend planning to be at the school site by 8:25 each day. After the second bell rings at 8:35, students must report to the school office to sign in and pick up a late slip before going to class.
If your Student will arrive late to school due to an appointment:You may do any of the three options-
1. Call the attendance line, 415-389-7722 and leave a message with information regarding the late arrival.
2. Walk into the office with the late student and check the student in, give an explanation regarding the late arrival and the reasons.
3. Send a note to school with the student, that explains the reasons for the late arrival and approximate time expected at school. Student will present the note at the office when they sign in.
All students will need to sign in when they arrive at school before going to class.
If your Student needs to leave school early for an appointment:
1. Send your student to school with a note, detailing what time the student should arrive at the office.
(Calling the teacher is not an effective plan, sometimes the class has a substitute or student teacher and they would not have access to the teacher's voice mail messages.)
2. Remind your student to show the note to the teacher of the class he/she will be leaving early from.
3. If the student is leaving at either recess or lunch, he/she will simply bring the note to the office and sign out.
4. When the time listed on the note approaches, your student should quietly gather up their backpack and personal items, the note and come down to the office to meet you, and sign out.
5. Students who do not have a parent note, may be sent back to class until the parent arrives to pick up.
Occasionally, there are last minute appointments that the student does not know about. Please arrive at the office with enough time for us to locate a student runner and send for your student. If you know far enough in advance, calling the office with details about when the student will need to be released from class can be helpful.
All students need to sign out before leaving campus and must sign back in if/when they return to campus.