Alcohol and Drug Education
Over the Counter Medications
One of the most dangerous ways teens have begun experimenting with drugs and alcohol, is through over-the-counter (OTC) medication. While OTC medication is important for kids to remain healthy and treat illnesses such as colds, coughs, and the flu, teens have begun using OTC medication to get high. We feel it is important for parents to understand and educate themselves on this new trend. Below is an article which details this new trend and ways parents can educate themselves.
Vaping has become more and more prevalent among teens across the country. It is highly addictive, dangerous, and harmful to the body's lungs central nervous system. There are many articles on vaping, but please be sure to check the information below as a resource to parengs.
Here is the lastest information on vaping from a Vaping Parent Ed Night held at the Mill Valley Community Center on January 16th
Freedom from Chemical Dependency (FCD)
As part of our health education program and ongoing commitment to prevention and wellness, FCD Educational Specialists come to our school once a year to work with our 7th and 8th graders. FCD is a non-profit organization that provides substance abuse prevention education for schools. Since 1976, they have taught over a million students of all ages. Their mission is to:
- Encourage and support the non-use of alcohol and other illegal or illicit drugs during the growing years.
- Empower young people to make healthy, responsible choices regarding alcohol and other drug use
- Teach students and adults how to recognize the early warning signs of substance abuse and to intervene appropriately
- Educate students, parents, teachers, and administrators on the physiological and psychological effects of alcohol and other drugs
- Promote awareness of drug addiction, including alcoholism, as a progressive, chronic, and often fatal disease
- Provide educational communities with the guidance and training necessary to implement comprehensive, effective approaches to substance abuse prevention
Please see the links below for more information that FCD provides teachers, students, and parents
Mill Valley Aware
Mill Valley Aware is a coalition of parents and community leaders who have joined together to help our teens grow up safe and healthy. We sponsor parent and teen education and events and provide ways for teens and parents to connect with and support each other around the issues of teen alcohol and drug use.
Listed below are other resources available to parents designed to education and talk with their child(ren) around alcohol and drugs: